Sunday, December 17, 2006

London couture and cheer

This morning I arrived back in Dubai after a trip to London and tomorrow morning I am back in the jump seat this time heading to Johannesburg. I somehow managed to sleep too long today and didn't emerge until very late this afternoon so my body clock is quite a bit out of whack. I think this is the first time in a year I've really felt jet lagged which isn't too bad.

London is always a big treat for me. I have a few friends who live there but also my big sister Melanie lives there too! It's so nice to be able to explore a city with a local by your side - something which is even more treasured in a place like London! For my birthday earlier this year Melanie took me to see a play at the Apollo theatre where I spied on Rose Byrne in the audience picking her nose under the cover of darkness (or so she thought). This visit however I had an objective. To find a pretty dress to wear to my friend's wedding in January. What a trooper my sister was. It took close to 4 hours of pounding the pavement along crazy-town Oxford St, looking through the plethora of clothes stores until we found a suitable ensemble. A flowy sky blue chiffon number, with halter neck straps.

When we checked out of our hotel later that evening the foyer was positively buzzing with Christmas cheer. There were two big festive work functions being held in function rooms there so the foyer was full of women in beautiful dresses running about with purpose while a man playing a piano in the corner filled the air with elegant notes. It made me wish I had on my new blue dress holding a glass of champagne, rather than the beige potato sack and red hat ready for work!

The hotel foyer was framed by little Christmas trees in the front glass wall and one big one in the entrance.

I worked up in First Class this trip which was a nice treat. The treat being that you are allowed to devour all the left over food once the service is over. Well, I scoffed down that little tin of caviar like a baby bird being fed by its mother. The other food was nice as well, but how many jobs let you chow down on caviar in your quiet moments?

It's usually so easy to get a smile out of our ground staff in Dubai, except when they're in front of the camera! Here I am with a couple of the many men that give our aircrafts some much needed TLC after a flight.

3 comments:

Daniel Watson said...

Well I see that you have completely ripped off my 'Next Flight' idea - but in the spirit of this the 2006th birthday of baby Jesus, I will forgive....but not forget.

DW - over and out

AC said...

Ha. How could I resist such an ingenius concept??

From here on it will be called the Watson effect.

x

haw said...

I always chow down caviar in my lounge room while i watch morning cartoons just before work....

ten is lobstar for lunch downed by some 30yr old congac.