Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The countdown in Brisbane

For the last few years I spent the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve fantasising about celebrating such an evening in grand destinations like New York, Paris and London. Well this was my first opportunity to make my little daydreams into reality, but when push came to shove I quickly realised the most important element in planning a fun NYE was who I was going to be celebrating it with! So this year I came home to welcome in 2007 with some of my Brisbane posse, in a pair of new red killer high heels. Dinner outside at a lovely restaurant on the very glossy James Street was in order, as was plentiful bubbles and giggles. Cocktails in The Valley saw us through the countdown and numbed the throbbing pain of my fabulous new heels. Win-win really.


New Years day I woke up pleasantly surprised to find that A)- despite the sensation, my feet had not been severed off and B)- The room was not spinning like the wheel of fortune (a horrific flashback to Jan 1st, 2005). An excellent start. As I was staying with my good friend Louise during my Brisbane visit, her family took pity on my temporary orphan-status and extended to me an invitation to their traditional New Years Day seafood fest. Louise, her partner and I found our darkest sunglasses and made our way to the tasty crustaceans and more booze. The oysters, prawns, salmon, salads and baby-back pork were de-didily-licious and I think it was the first time I truly sang praises for the 'hair of the dog' theory after tucking into an irresistible offer of champagne flavoured with wild hibiscus flower and syrup. Certainly a very nice start to 2007!

No comments: