Sunday, May 13, 2007

Kyoto

Most of the meal services we do are relatively similar in content and style except that is for our Japanese routes. During my Business Class upgrade at training college almost half an hour was devoted solely to learning the intricacies of delivering and presenting meals on our Japanese flights. The food is of course different (sushi, rice, noodles, miso etc) as is the crockery (Tokkuri - the flask used to serve the sake, chopstick holders, beautifully coloured glazed square sushi plates, tiny pint soy sauce bottles with matchstick sized corks, green tea cups with matching wooden saucers etc). Then there are the details such as how to serve warm sake as opposed to cold sake, and how one must never plate only four pieces of sushi as this number is considered diabolic (because the pronounciation is the same as their word for death - shi). So with all these minute details and the possibility of sending grim reaper style messages from behind my trolley I was slightly nervous about doing everything correctly, but I needn't have been as it was a great flight and a treat working with all the beautiful traditional Japanese crockery.

The morning after arriving into Osaka I woke up, studied the train information then ventured out walking along the river in the warm sunshine towards the station. I bought my ticket and in just over half an hour I was pulling into Kyoto after a journey which took us at reasonable speed along the sides of endless apartments and (the further out we went) alongside empty fields of green. I was interested to see so many futons hung over (the majority of) the apartment balconies like horse saddles basking in the morning sunlight, waiting to be returned inside later that evening.

My only intention that day was to make my way to Kiyomizu temple which (from the pictures I had seen) looked to be one almighty temple, but as I had almost the whole day to explore I walked with little purpose and it took me first up to Kennin-ji, the oldest Zen temple in Kyoto. It didn't take long before I started to feel relaxed and Zen like myself, looking at the impeccably kept lush gardens with flowing wave formations in white stones and bamboo water features. I was very careful to obey correct shoe etiquette in the various areas of the grounds. Some parts I had to swap my shoes for cute little red ones and in other parts it were plain brown versions (which were much more Crosby-like). One such custom which took me a few minutes to absorb was the one which applied to walking from one part of the grounds to the other, which was separated by a small driveway. To go through one gate to the next, one was required to exactly obey the order of written instructions so as to not disturb the Dragon Art...or so the English translation told me.


The rack of little red shoes, and the instructions for correct gate entrance

After the Kennin-ji Temple I began to walk up the streets towards the top of the hill where Kiyomizu sits. The walk there was almost as good as the destination itself. Along the way I met two beautiful Geisha girls who kindly let me take their photo and so obviously marvel at the opulence of their costume. I saw three cheeky boys each giving rickshaws rides to people through the narrow streets of Kyoto and I wished I knew what these boys were saying because each time they rushed past me their passengers were always giggling uncontrollably at what ever they were hearing.



Kiyomizu temple, perched on top of a mountain, was teeming with people most of which were school students. I couldn't believe how gloriously green and dense the mountainside backdrop was and at just how high up above the city the temple was. There was so much more to see besides the temple that I didn't even make my way inside! I watched young girls walk with their eyes shut laughing at themselves while trying to make their way (unharmed) from one 'fortune' rock to the next for good luck; people drinking cups of mountain fresh trickling water which is believed to be cleansing and purifying; and students getting their fortune read from a lucky-dip style container of numbered sticks, each digit holding a different outcome of their fate! While I was watching this and trying to work out what was going on, a group of three school girls came running around the corner and stopped right in front of me, smiling from ear to ear at me. They wished to practice their English on me and have their photo taken and I was only too happy to oblige, I think the interest was quite mutual! After writing my name and country in their autograph book we waved each other good bye and I walked back down the little streets stopping off for a bowl of noodles and then jumping back onto the train heading back towards downtown Osaka.




4 comments:

fraloop said...

wow...it sounds and looks beautiful...I can't wait to experience it myself. Thanks Ash.

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos!! Thanks for sharing!

haw said...

Where you get that bag you have? I want one too.

AC said...

Hi heyheytakeaway :)

The bag was made by two very talented designers and I love it! I bought mine from Brisbane, but I imagine they could post to you if you live outside of a stockist?? I also have a couple of their t-shirts which I always get comments on.

Check out their site:
http://www.peeple.com.au/